Saturday, June 19, 2010

TGIF

Today makes day 6 on the road and thankfully our last overnighter. Didn't post yesterday cause I was out shopping with my friend Teresa. This road trip followed a path across the country where we didn't know many people so we didn't have the diversion of hanging out with friends. Last night was the exception - we planned the trip so that we would arrive in Wheaton around noon and have the afternoon off to play with Teresa and her family. It was a great reprieve. We splashed in the pool, ate Thai for lunch, pub grub for dinner and I was at Target until 10pm. What a night! Thanks so much Wrenn Family.

47 miles into our trip today we crossed from Illinois into Indiana also known at the "Crossroads of America" though when I just googled their nickname it said it was known as the "Prairie State". All I know is that the gi-normous sign at the state line said "WELCOME TO INDIANA - CROSSROADS OF AMERICA". When in reality what it should have said was "WELCOME TO INDIANA - TOLL ROADS SUCK ALL YOUR MONEY". Seriously, I have never been in a state with so many toll roads. I imagine its no big deal if you have the IPASS or the EZPASS but if you just have cold hard cash you have to slow down, stop, throw money into a bin or give it to an attendant. Wowza it makes the journey so much slower.

We stopped for lunch at one of these middle of the road traveler stations they have on these toll roads. We ate and ran around for a bit and as Eric was loading the car, O and I were watching a HUGE charter bus. My son has a thing for buses (does every male child have this same thing?). He can get a bit obsessed with them and will repeatedly say "bu bu bu bu" which in his-speak means BUS! So there we are watching all the old folks get on the bus and all of a sudden the driver walks down the steps and asks O if he wants to get on the bus. He ran for the steps and with minimal assistance made it up to the cheering of about 50 people. He smiled and waved and was friends with everyone. He then promptly sat down in the middle of the aisle and told me to close the door so we could go for a ride. I know sometimes I shake my head when people tell their kid stories but this one was worth the re-telling even from this smitten mamma.

201 miles into our daily journey we made it into Ohio and to Eastern Standard Time. Tonight we are staying in Youngstown at a sweet Marriott with a bedroom door that closes. If you have ever tried staying the night with a toddler in a regular hotel room you know what a treat a suite is.

Roadkill count:
Today - NONE
Yesterday - Deer 6, badger (?) 1

Funniest Names:
Today - NONE, you know why? Cause you don't see any towns from the Toll Roads
Yesterday - Beefaroo Restaurant and Menards ("my nards are killing me" - direct quote from E) Home Improvement Store

Not sure what the Internet story will be like at our new home but will post again soon. Until then...please send positive vibes my way for my first day of work on Monday. I have some serious butterflies.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My nards are killing me! LOL :) Thank you for the post. Entertaining as usual. And the O story of Bu bu bu...too cute.

Lastly, I know you will have a successful first day of training with the Fed's on Montag! They will be impressed with your aptitude and intellect, as anyone is whos comes in contact with you!

Peace.

Unknown said...

Wish I could spell check? should read "who". Yah.

Unknown said...

and no is, lol

Judie said...

Welcome to MED and the Foreign Service. I look forward to meeting you. My mentor, long retired, once told me this would be the best job I would ever have. She was 100% correct. I wish the same fate for you.

Steph B said...

Good Luck! Cant wait to hear about your first week! I have a feeling its going to be terrific!