Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Hot and Hotter

“Is it cooler today?” that’s the first thing I asked myself as I rode my bike into work this morning. You see, we don’t have an outside thermometer. I think it would freak me out a bit to see how really hot it gets here. I know it’s hot, I know it’s going to get hotter and that’s just my reality at the moment. I asked myself that question because my ride into work seemed shorter today. When we first got here (in the “winter”) it would take me about 7 minutes to ride to work. Lately it has taken me close to 12…almost double the time. I keep saying it’s the heat cause when its 93 degrees at 7am my feet barely feel like pedaling and I can hardly force myself out the door of the AC’d house. This morning there was a bit of a breeze so I think that was what was tricking me into thinking it was cooler…but the sky was steely gray like it gets when dry and dusty and hot and the sun was a glowing foggy-looking circle.

I have a colleague who has a fancy thermometer, humidity, weather-ball type of thing outside her house. Her husband is into all gadget type of things so this is really quite some contraption. We have a meeting together once a week and at that meeting I always ask her how hot it’s been. Unfortunately, she’s on holiday so I’m stuck wondering how hot it has really been. I thought about emailing the entire embassy but then decided that probably wouldn’t go over very well. I checked out this weather website and their forecast that said it was 102 but felt like 113. That did not make me feel any better…can you see why ignorance is bliss?


No comments: