Monday, April 9, 2012

Happy 39 #1

To celebrate my 39th birthday I planned a road trip up North over the border and into Uganda. I had an itch that I wanted to scratch. This itch was the itch of a road trip. I have loved road trips since I was a kid and we would drive cross country from Seattle to Philly to see my grandparents. Living on the rez only made me love them more - as we trekked 34 miles to the grocery store and three hours to the airport. Something so freeing about these trips.

I invited a family we had met on a holiday in Mombasa - they were living in Kampala and I thought it would be fun to meet up again and let the kiddos hang out. Not to mention it was Easter weekend - who needs any more excuses.
View from our front door - also from the bed when I was laying down napping! Cause that's what every 39 year old woman does.
This was our little cottage called Heron...it had a king sized bed, a little toilet and shower. Hot water on request when the fire was lit under the "hot water tank"
Crazy steps down to the dock to catch our boat to the Jajama Panorama Lodge!
The Ugandan border...see the stripes on the road block? It looked like old Christmas ribbon wrapped around the metal pole.
Love the bumper of this truck that we passed on the road - Rwanda T Boys - I love my culture!

1 comment:

WasSoggyInSeattle said...

First - Happy 39th! Sounds like it was great. It is so beautiful over there. I don't know what I think when I think of Africa - desert and savannah's I guess but certainly not this! Thanks for continuing to share these wonderful photos!