Sunday, April 22, 2012

Tour O' the Backyard

I have fallen in love with our backyard again. Sometimes I get annoyed with it - I am not sure why - all the leaves that continue to fall from the avocado tree? all the weird weeds that grow? all the strange pruning that seems to happen when I am not home? But lately I have been having a new appreciation for the interesting mix of flowers that just keep popping up. These are mostly annuals (or they would be annuals in colder climes) but here they grow, bloom, wither and bloom again. It's really pretty amazing. It's different to live in a backyard that is only yours for a short period of time. We only planted a few of the plants - most came with the house and were mature when we moved in. Some have been mangled beyond recognition...we have a rose bush that my friend Heidi would shudder at. It's been pruned so wrong so many times the poor thing is one long branch. There is not a huge feeling of ownership that comes when you own a house and all the hard work and investment is yours but still, lately, I have really been digging our lush green oasis in the city.
Our pomegranate tree. We have never had more than 1 or 2 fruits at a time. Then we pruned a bit, and holy shit...there are at least 50 pomegranates on this tree...


A huge ass avocado that fell from our tree - about 50 feet in the air. I keep thinking I should make Orion wear his bike helmet when he is playing in the backyard.

This is a start that I smuggled in from one of my trips to Bujumbura - I don't know exactly what it is but it gets these crazy green balls on it and these amazing pink flowers.

New set of bananas

Eric's pineapple plant

New set of sunflowers

1 comment:

Potters said...

Pomegranates and Avocados? Oh how I am jealous!! And yes, with Avo's that size, Orion should most definitely be wearing a helmet!!