Thursday, May 19, 2011

Market Madness

The markets in Istanbul were amazing, awesome, interesting and every other descriptive word you could think of. I love grocery stores, I love markets, I love how you can find such crazy things that you never knew existed. We visited both the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Market a couple of times. Not exactly sure how one puts into words such overwhelming sights and sounds. Saffron, saffron and more...I had no clue there were so many types and variations of saffron.


Beads, bracelets, bangles...all sorts of jewels...everything from cheap plastic made in China to 24k gold with ginormous rubies, emeralds and other stones.




The evil eye was everywhere...once you started looking for them they were easy to spot. These were in the Spice Market where they have a whole section for dogs - open bins of food, beds, and these collars with the eye on them. Made me miss Bella.


The Spice Market was full of spices of course but it also had huge outdoor sections full of veggie seeds, pet supplies, bulbs and other plantings. I loved the intruder in this picture. Next post I promise to talk more about the Hammam!

1 comment:

katy said...

markets are my fav thing to visit when traveling. did you buy an evil eye?