Friday, June 22, 2012

What a treat!

I don't do pintrest. I have thought about it and am awed and amazed at all the interesting things that are out there. My girl Katy has been challenging herself to make/do the things that she has pinned and its been great following her as she tries out new recipes and crafts (and as I just looked at her blog - a sweet pea trellis). There's this thing with new things - sometimes they are a hit and sometimes not so much. We had Father's Day dinner with our friends who made ALL new recipes for dinner. Have you ever done that? I was super impressed. Usually we make our old stand-bys when we have people over. They made a carrot dip and a roasted eggplant dip, along with a tomato lentil and roasted veggie main dish. It was really fun to taste test everything and give opinions about whether its a keeper or not. So, I wrote all of this to tell you about these amazing ice-cream pops that I made to contribute to the Father's Day dinner. I offered to bring dessert and wanted to bring something fun and something you can't get easily in Kigali. I googled Father's Day recipes and of course Martha Stewart popped up with some impossibly hard (but super cute) sugar cookie stencil  recipe. Ugh...no thanks. Then good ole' Country Living showed me what I was looking for...Confetti Ice Cream Pops! I didn't have popsicle sticks but being the resourceful woman that I am, I remembered when cleaning out the store room at my job there was a box of WOODEN pap-smear sticks...wooden, ouch! Of course I couldn't throw them away (cause they might come in handy for some craft project some day) so I cut them in half and used them for the handles of the pops. What do you get when you take pap-smear sticks, paper cups, a $17 carton of ice cream and old sprinkles left over from Easter...a Father's Day treat to knock your socks off! YUM!
I am ready for some action - because its so warm here the ice-cream kept melting too much...lots of trips to the freezer
After being frozen for about 4 hours
finished product...is your mouth watering?

1 comment:

Potters said...

Love the Pops!! Hilarious on repurposing the 'pap-smear' sticks, Yikes!! And yes, only you would tuck them away for another crafty day.