Monday, July 23, 2012

Captured the Moment!

Two days of chaos preceeded by hours of sorting, organizing and editing all leading up to packing up and out our home of the past two years. Don't get me wrong, I love all of the above. I like seeing what we have, what we don't need to keep (hello...nursing notes from 2005 on mental health resources in Seattle) and getting all the proverbial ducks in a row. However, my love of all this has been tempered a bit by my love of the three year old in my life. 


You see, Orion has moved two maybe three times in his life (Arizona, Seattle - does this count?, DC) but he has always been a little too little to really understand what was happening. Not so on this move. Ohh, we did all the right things, got books on moving and talked about what was going to happen. You know how it is with a kiddo - they want to know the nitty gritty details like "where does the truck take our stuff?" great question - let me ask. Like "why are there so many guys here helping" great question - I have no idea. Like "mamma where is my bike" great question - the one that I didn't have to answer. 


So between the Berenstain Bears Moving Day and Big Ernie's New Home we covered what would happen with our stuff, how some of it would go on the airplane to Grandma's house and the rest would meet us in Djibouti. What the books didn't cover is what you are supposed to do when your kid finds his trike among the packing boxes. At this point in the day, I just looked at Orion, looked at the box and decided we needed to take a walk and find some ice cream. I mean really, you couldn't have just upgraded to a bigger box?



1 comment:

Nomads By Nature said...

It took me a second, but I got it! How HYSTERICAL (resourceful?) is that for packing!! I think ice-cream at that point was your best option. Safe travels to your next post -- looking forward to your adventures there!