Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Strangest Science Fair Ever


In O's backpack a couple of weeks ago was a notice about an upcoming "Science Fair". Now I put that in quotes cause I don't have much experience with Science Fairs (not even sure a title like that is supposed to be capitalized) so my frame of reference is limited to what I have seen on TV or in movies or in posting on FB. I have wracked my brain trying to remember if I participated in a Science Fair when I was a kiddo and for the life of me I can't remember - MB help me out here – I don’t think I did but then again, my brain is full of useless knowledge not things like “did I participate in a Science Fair when I was a kid?” And do you really have a Science Fair for kids that are three years old?

We get up and at 'em on an early Saturday morning and make our way to Orion's school. There are kids and parents and teachers milling around and seats set up for what I assume is the audience. We hand O over to his teacher and have a seat. Pretty soon the classes come out and line up – they sing the national anthem of Rwanda – turns out Orion knows the entire thing in Kinyarwandan – AMAZING – and then they go to their Science Fair stations. Parents are instructed to visit each station so off we go into the first classroom where we are met with little groups of kids with plates of fruits. They recite the names of the fruits for us and we move to the next table where the kids do the same thing. This was the Science Fair – kids reciting names of fruits. It was other worldly and completely strange. 


I hate to mock this banner but really...the excellency of fruit life - do they mean the excellency of fruit FOR life? 
Lining up they put their hands on the shoulders of the person in front so their lines are "neat and tidy" - Nursery Two
Talking about the fruits they have
More fruits...
stage fright...no one wanted to talk about their fruits
Watermelon and Pineapple - the fruit not the kids
Orion's table

1 comment:

Kimberly Coats said...

Hmmm...interesting, Rwanda.