Wednesday, January 19, 2011

There's A Fungus Amongus

The Ali Family loves mushrooms. We are not picky mushroom eaters - we like them all. I especially love dense 'shrooms that you can use as a meat substitute. I also love to get a nice mix of mushrooms and make my "world famous" wild-rice and mushroom stuffing. Until recently we have only been able to find these wild gigantic oyster mushrooms. Then a couple of weeks ago Eric came home and told me he saw a lady with a basket of mushrooms on her head and they were a different kind. Whoooppp Whoooop YAY a new kinda mushroom to check out. Unfortunately, we couldn't find this lady or another like her with a new type of mushroom until this past weekend. Look at the beauties that walked through the door with Eric. Some were put in spaghetti sauce, some in a stir fry, some eaten raw.


Can you find the phallic one in the bunch...

My love with an umbrella. These pictures really don't do these mushrooms justice. They were huge and hearty and all around beautiful.

4 comments:

katy said...

African mushrooms? You are one brave lady!

Potters said...

I agree with Katy, you are brave! Granted, this is coming from a person that detests mushrooms. FUNGI. Bleh.

Cindy said...

I am with both Gals and I agree with Karin on the BLEH. That said - hope you enjoyed them!

The Cristes said...

I cant wait to taste them wtih wild rice.. I have made your wild rice stuffing with mushrooms already 4 times this year who needs to wait til Turkey day to eat stuffing. I love the pictures! I am going to have to bring a whole SD card just get great pictures!